Food & Wine
Cooking traditions, good food, excellent wines
Italy is famous all around the world for its cooking and in every area it is possible to find specialities not to be found elsewhere.
In Umbria, you find ancient cooking traditions, not to mention dishes with surprising tastes.
Everywhere you find ladies making homemade pasta and flavoring it with savoury sauces.
But not only pasta! Umbria has numerous typical dishes:
- Torta al testo: typical unleavened bread to fill with homemade salami and chesses
- Pollo alla cacciatora: chicken with a tasty tomato sauce, very good to eat with torta al testo
- Cereal soups: spicy and with extra virgin olive oil
- Porchetta: a whole roasted pig, when eaten tepid it is an explosion of taste
- Truffles: black or white are excellent on a good pasta, bruschetta or a beef fillet covered with sliced truffle
- Fried zucchini flowers: crispy and tasty, this is a perfect summer appetizer
- Panzanella: bread salad with a lot of vegetables, it is a typical Umbrian appetizer
And let us not forget good drink! In Umbria we have very good wines which are becoming famous all around the world.
Sagrantino di Montefalco: the best Umbrian vintage red wine, made with 100% Sagrantino grapes, it is excellent with red meats. Sagrantino has a very dark Ruby red colour, is fruity with spicy aromas, very intense and rich, and has a dry aftertaste due to the tannins.
Rosso di Montefalco: consumed at a shorter aging period than Sagrantino, is made with a blend of Sagrantino and Sangiovese grapes. It is a good red wine for meats and pasta.
Grechetto: a white wine with a fresh and long lasting taste. It is made with 100% Grechetto grapes, is perfect with fish and chicken, and for casual sipping.
Orvieto Classico: a white wine with an intense aroma. It is made with a blend of Grechetto and Chardonnay grapes, and pairs nicely with fish, salami, and white meat.
We are here to help you taste the genuine flavours of our beloved Umbria,